On the 5th December over 140 delegates joined us for a UK-Liberia High-Level Business Briefing with distinguished government ministers led by Hon. Eugene Nagbe, Minister of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism. The event was opened HE Gurly T. Gibson Schwarz, Liberia Ambassador to the United Kingdom and HMA David Belgrove, OBE, British Ambassador to Liberia, both highlighting the exciting opportunities for sustainable development and the benefits for both countries in supporting their business relationships.
Session 1 built on this, delving into Liberia's wealth of resources (for energy), pristine forest (for tourism) and strategic positioning to be the hub of West Africa. Scott Lowe from ArcelorMittal showed delegates how business can be successful in Liberia and have significant impacts for community development and job creation.
Carla Senatore announced UKEF offer to Liberian buyers for a £50 million risk appetite, echoing Hon. Mawine G. Diggs that "Liberia is open for business".
This statement was followed by another special announcement from Sime Derby Plantation, showing their commitment to sustainable palm oil and commitment to the future of Liberia's production potential.
Session 2 outlined the sectors for investment in Liberia, notably telecommunications infrastructure and tourism, and the support of Liberian Business Association and Chamber of Commerce in encouraging investment. Councillor Ruth Bush closed the event by drawing on the buzz in the room over Liberia's potential and why this is so important for the UK and Liberia.
Our thanks to the Embassy of Liberia for all their work on the event and a special thank you to our principal sponsor ArcelorMittal, our media partner the Oxford Business Group and support from PowerTraveller and Royal Air Maroc.
9:00-10:00 - Registration and Welcome Refreshments
10:00-10:15 - Opening Remarks
- Atam Sandhu, Chief Executive, DMA
- Hon. Mawine Diggs - FA .pdf
- HMA David Belgrove, OBE, British Ambassador to Liberia
10:15-10:25 - Special Announcement: Building the Future of Liberia’s Palm Oil Industry
Mohammad Helmy Othman Basha, Group Managing Director, Sime Darby Plantation
10:25-11:30 - Session 1: Economic Overview
- Hon. Eugene Nagbe, Minister of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism
- Hon. Professor Wilson K. Tarpeh, Minister of Commerce
- Hon. Frank Musah Dean, Minister of Justice and Attorney General
- Samson Dee, Director, Liberia Business Registry
- Scott Lowe, Chief Executive, ArcelorMittal
11:45-12:15 - Networking Refreshment Break
12:15-13:30 - Session 2: Investment-Ready Projects
- Hon. Maria G. Harrison, Commissioner, Engineering and Technology, Liberia Telecommunications Authority
- Hon. C. Mike Doryen, Managing Director of the Forestry Development Authority
- Hon. Precious Klade Tetteh, Minister of Agriculture
- Dominic Nimley, Chair of Commerce and Trade, Liberian Business Association
13:30-13:35 - Closing Remarks
Councillor Ruth Bush, The Rt Worshipful Lord Mayor of Westminster
13:35 - 14:35 - Networking Lunch