On 30th September DMA, in parternship with the Algerian British Business Council (ABBC), hosted their third event in 2020 with the Government of Algeria. You can view the event On Demand or via our YouTube Channel.
Following on from the success of January's Business Briefing and high-level Trade Mission in Februrary, this event focussed on Algeria's COVID-19 roadmap and opportunities for UK businesses.
Opened by Lord Risby, the Prime Minister's Trade Envoy to Algeria, the event emphasised the opportunities for win-win partnership between the UK and Algeria, particularily in the education, agriculture and renewable energy sectors. Algeria continues to prioritise diversification and create attractive market conditions to further foreign direct investment.
Lord Grimstone of Boscobel Kt, Minister of State for Investment, Department for International Trade, highlighted the importance of global trade in driving global prosperity and that as we begin to prepare for COP26, now is the time for UK businesses to support the development of clean energy and be part of Algeria's greener future.
Hon Ferhat Ait Ali Braham, Minister of Trade and Industry, emphasised the steps taken by the Algerian Government to support the private sector and strengthen the economic partnership between the two countries, such as the removal of the 49-51 rule. The current adminsitation committment to supporting FDI and creating a transparent and encourgaing business environment.
One of the highlights of this event were presetnations delivered by Safia Kouiret, Director, National Agency of Investment Development (ANDI) and Mira Chahira Touami, Director, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, who provided insight into Algeria's vast investment potential.
HE Abderrahmane Benguerrah, Algerian Ambassador to the United Kingdom and HMA Barry Lowen, British Ambassador to Algeria delivered the closing remarks, emphasisng that the the UK and Algeria continues to develop, and that both embassies are here to supprt investors in any way they can.
We would like to thank all of our speakers for their excellent contributions and extend our thanks to the Department of International Trade and the Algerian Embassy in London for their support.
11:00-11:05: Opening Remarks:
- Lord Risby, British Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to Algeria
11:05-11:20: Keynote Address
- Hon Ferhat Ait Ali Braham, Minister of Trade and Industry, Government of Algeria
- Lord Grimstone of Boscobel Kt, Minister of State for Investment, Department for International Trade
11:20-12:05: Algeria-UK: Current and Post-COVID Opportunities
- Chair: Lady Olga Maitland, Chairman, ABBC
- Safia Kouiret, Director, National Agency of Investment Development (ANDI)
- Mira Chahira Touami, Director, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
- Abderrahmane Hadef, Director, Ministry of Micro Enterprise
- Amel Larbaoui, Department of International Trade, Ministry of Trade
- Dr Meriem Hedibel, Advisor, Minister of Pharmaceutical Industry
- Chouireb Lakhdar, Director of External Relations, Sonalgaz
- Mohamed Sami, Presdient, Confédération Algérienne du Patronat Citoyen (CAPC)
12:05-12:25 Q&A Session
12:25-12:30: Closing Remarks
- HE Abderrahmane Benguerrah, Algerian Ambassador to the United Kingdom
- HMA Barry Lowen, British Ambassador to Algeria